Corporation Corridors

Quite popular as a musician among French audiences, Murray Head once attempted to depict his cultural ambiguity on a TV show in France claiming “my right leg's in France, my left leg's in Britain, and my balls are in the Channel” (all in perfect French). His best and most memorable song is probably "Say It Ain't So" (to be featured some time later, I promise). So why did I pick up this one instead? Have a guess! Actually, the last time I listened to his Shade album from which this track comes from, it was probably three decades ago. It happens all the time: all of a sudden, out of the blue, a tune — some lyrics keep going round in my head. Experience taught me there's always a good reason for it, so I say thank you and like Muse « I wait patiently for a sign ».

Ey@el

Do you ever get that feeling
People closing doors behind you?
All alone again, surrounded
By the normal things you do,
Like a rabbit in the headlights,
You get rooted to the spot.
Now they baffle you with choices,
Will they leave you here to rot?

Corporation corridors,
How I wonder what's in store for me.
Corporation corridors,
Help me find an open door
Believe in me, I'll play your game
Please don't ignore me or my name

Do you ever get that feeling
People running scared around you
Sacrificing their opinions
For the uniform they wear
Corporation pays the mortgage,
Telephone and shiny car
Sell your morals for promotion,
Pass the buck and you'll go far

How I wonder what's in store for me
Corporation corridors,
Devoted I'll obey your laws
Grant me my security
A corporate identity and I'm yours
I'm yours

You're the answer to my problems
Can you help me run my life and find some friends

Do you ever get that feeling
People making out they like you
All the time they're busy working
On the plan to run you through ?
If you really want to beat them
You can do it through the system
Secret lies in infiltration,
Anonymity's the clue

Make a point in being faceless,
Keep your instinct well alive
Making sure you leave no traces
And you won't tell any lies.

Come and join the corporation now!
Step into the corridor,
Come and clock-in at the station now.
Welcome home 1984!

Original text by MURRAY HEAD
© La Pensine Mutine. All rights reserved. Reproduction prohibited.

Share:

No comments:

Featured Post

The Panther of the Lake

It's almost Halloween. On this occasion, I intended to repost an article by Alanna Ketler about what black cats actually symbolise and ...

Recent Posts

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *