Alice & June

Forgive me O great Saint Nicholas for having swept under the rug and for so long this super great song from the even super greater album of the same title I dig so much. Thee who, by the way, is not of Greek1 but Russian descent (to cut short any wrongful speculation, that is). My apologies to beloved Alice too — you've finally made it out of the burrow at last, darling. No more standing you up2, I promise! And in the future, Nico, would you mind writing more English-friendly lyrics for you're a real pain to translate, you know. Well, surely, I'm asking the moon who's not in the habit of dealing with such requests3 (please, don't change a thing, just can't help looking for something to grumble about).

Cпасибо!

Ey@el

1-2-3 Alice
Born in Nightmare Land,
Would like to cheer her up.

1-2-3 Alice
Into a black hole fell,
Might be able to rescue her.

What have we done tomorrow?
Just can't remember,
Too many people around.
Alice, don't look back!

1-2-3 Alice 
In this place was born,
Wrong place apparently.

1-2-3 Alice
In Star Land,
And once upon a time
Someone like me.

Drink me up,
You might grow up.

1-2-3 Jesus died
For nothing truth is,
Hope for the best.

But in such place
So overgrown,
Her only concern was about
Figuring out rainy days.

That's what I'm here for !

1-2-3 Alice
Born in Nightmare Land,
Would like to cheer her up.

1-2-3 Alice
Into a black hole fell,
Might be able to rescue her.

Endnotes

  1. ^ There was a pun I used in French based on an idiomatic expression involving Greece, which I'm afraid won't work in English and that basically means the same as postponing indefinitely.
  2. ^ Another untranslatable expression involving a rabbit. So frustrating all the great stuff lost in translation.
  3. ^ This is a reference to Indochine's mega hit "J'ai demandé à la Lune" (I asked the Moon) which literally made this band “cool” again for mainstream media.

Original text by NICOLA SIRKIS translated from French by EY@EL
© La Pensine Mutine. All rights reserved. Reproduction prohibited.

Share:

No comments:

Featured Post

The Panther of the Lake

It's almost Halloween. On this occasion, I intended to repost an article by Alanna Ketler about what black cats actually symbolise and ...

Recent Posts

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *